5 Ways to Reduce Holiday Stress.
- Tony Ambush
- Breathe – Find a quiet spot, close your eyes, inhale slowly through you nose and exhale through your mouth. You’ll find your body relaxing more and more with each breath. Give yourself a 5 minute break and focus on you breathing. You’ll be able to share more of yourself with family and friends when you take time to recharge during this busy time of year.
- Laugh – laughing lowers your body’s stress hormone and increases endorphins. Go to a comedy club or watch a favorite holiday comedy. Start a joke-telling competition between you and your family members.
- Play – Music is healing. Create a play list of relaxing, soothing sounds or instrumentals to help you relax. Or… play some fun tunes that get you up and moving. The energy you expend will help you recover from that big holiday meal.
- Connect – Connection during the holiday season is always important. Volunteering with your family to help those in need is a good way to connect with family and your extended community. You can also call a longtime friend and catch up. Texting is great, but try calling or Skype/ Video-chat with them. The more of our senses involved in the communication process, the greater the connection will be.
- Move – As was noted before, dancing is an amazing, fun, and easy way to get some exercise. Dance with family and friends around the fire this Christmas. You can also try yoga as a way to relax and exercise at the same time. A walk with family and friends after the Christmas meal is always a good idea.
Whatever you do this season, don’t let the holiday hustle and bustle tear you down. Take some time out to enjoy friends and family. Stay healthy everyone. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you!